The Centre for Jewish Studies at the University of Toronto
Over the past five decades, the University of Toronto has developed one of the best and most comprehensive Jewish Studies programs in North America. In 2008, the Centre for Jewish Studies was created to recognize and build on these remarkable achievements. Today the Centre offers courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels in archeology, art, history, languages, literature, performance, philosophy, political science, religion, and sociology.
Why choose Jewish Studies?
Judaism is one of the fountainheads of Western culture. In addition, students from a wide range of backgrounds choose Jewish Studies because the Centre’s courses and programs:
• Foster an understanding of the past through a highly critical engagement with Jewish and other traditions
• Explain the possibilities of cultural renewal in the face of rapid change
• Explore the challenges and opportunities of minorities within majority cultures
• Offer insight into Canada’s remarkable diversity and Canada’s place in an increasingly global society
Areas of Jewish Studies
The Centre for Jewish Studies builds on the expertise and range of its faculty members. Their diverse strengths are reflected in the four areas of concentration in the CJS graduate and undergraduate programs:
- Classical Judaism
- Jewish Philosophy and Thought
- Jewish History and Social Sciences
- Jewish Cultures, Languages, and Literatures